Chicken and Dumplings
Adapted from CooksAid.com
|Serving Size||¼ of recipe|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||29 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Servings and Times TOP
Refrigerate dumplings and soup in separate containers and save for lunch.
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Small white onion, chopped||1|
|Carrots, peeled and sliced||2|
|Garlic clove, minced||1|
|Dried thyme||½ teaspoon|
|Chicken broth||14 ounces (eg, a 14.5-ounce can)|
|Low-fat cream of celery soup||1 10.75-ounce can|
|Chicken breast tenders, cut into 1” squares||¾ pound|
|Low-fat milk||1/3 cup|
|All-purpose flour||¾ cup|
|Baking powder||1 ½ teaspoons|
|Cornmeal||1 ½ teaspoons|
|Freshly ground pepper to taste|
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, garlic, and thyme, and sauté for 4-6 minutes, until onions are tender.
- Add chicken broth, water, and cream of celery soup to vegetables and bring to a boil. Add chicken, stir, and boil for 10 minutes. Reduce to a simmer.
- While soup is boiling, prepare dumpling batter by whisking milk and egg together in a medium bowl. In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cornmeal, and salt. Add flour mixture to milk mixture and stir until moistened.
- Drop half of batter, in tablespoons, into simmering soup. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, until dumplings are done (they will be puffy and will float on top of soup). Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon and set aside. Repeat with second half of batter. (Makes about 12 dumplings.)
- Serve soup over dumplings in shallow bowls and sprinkle with pepper.
2 very lean meats, 1 starch, 1 fat, ½ vegetable
Side Suggestions: Mixed Green Salad
Toss a bag of mixed greens with your choice of chopped vegetables and salad dressing.