Limas and Spinach
Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
Your family will love to eat more vegetables cooked this way.
|Serving Size||½ cup|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||less than 1 g|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Frozen lima beans||2 cups|
|Vegetable oil||1 tablespoon|
|Fennel, cut in strips (4 ounce)||1 cup|
|Onion, chopped||½ cup|
|Low-sodium chicken broth||¼ cup|
|Leaf spinach, washed thoroughly||4 cups|
|Distilled vinegar||1 tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1/8 teaspoon|
|Raw chives||1 tablespoon|
|Water for boiling (if needed)|
- Steam or boil lima beans in unsalted water approximately 10 minutes.
- In a skillet, sauté onions and fennel in oil.
- Add the beans and stock to the onions, cover, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach. Cover and cook until spinach has wilted, about 2
- Stir in the vinegar and pepper. Cover and let stand for 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve.