Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
A small amount of margarine and orange juice give these yams lots of flavor but little fat.
|Serving Size||¼ cup|
|Total Fat||less than 1 g|
|Saturated Fat||less than 1 g|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Medium yams||1½ cups|
|Brown sugar, packed||¼ cup|
|Flour, sifted||1 teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||¼ teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||¼ teaspoon|
|Orange peel||¼ teaspoon|
|Soft tub margarine||1 teaspoon|
|Orange juice||½ cup|
- Cut yams in half and boil until tender, but firm (about 20 minutes). When
cool enough to handle, peel and slice into ¼-inch thickness.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated orange peel.
- Place half of the sliced yams in a medium-sized casserole dish. Sprinkle
with spiced sugar mixture.
- Dot with half the amount of margarine.
- Add a second layer of yams, using the rest of the ingredients in the same
order as above. Add orange juice.
- Bake uncovered in oven preheated to 350°F for 20 minutes.