Beef or Turkey Stew
Adapted from the National Diabetes Education Program, National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Department of Health and Human Services
This dish goes nicely with a green leaf lettuce and cucumber salad and a dinner roll. Plantains or corn can be used in place of the potatoes.
|Serving Size||3 ounces of beef with 1 cup vegetables|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||21 g|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Lean beef or turkey breast cut into cubes||1 pound|
|Whole wheat flour|
|Salt (optional)||¼ teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1½ tablespoons|
|Garlic, minced||2 cloves|
|Medium onions, sliced||2|
|Celery, sliced||2 stalks|
|Medium red/green bell pepper, sliced||1|
|Medium tomato, finely minced||1|
|Beef or turkey broth, fat removed||5 cups|
|Small potatoes, peeled and cubed||5|
|Green peas||1¼ cups|
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix the whole wheat flour with salt, pepper, and cumin, and roll the beef or turkey cubes in the mixture. Shake off excess flour.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef or turkey cubes and sauté until nicely brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Place the beef or turkey in an ovenproof casserole.
- Add minced garlic, onions, celery, and peppers to the skillet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato and broth. Bring to a boil and pour over the turkey or beef pieces. Cover the casserole tightly and bake for 1 hour at 375°F.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the potatoes, carrots, and peas. Bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until tender.