Turkey Stuffed Cabbage
Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
This hearty entree uses half ground turkey and half lean ground beef and no added salt for a lower fat and lower salt taste treat.
|Serving Size||2 rolls each|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Lean ground beef||½ pound|
|Ground turkey||½ pound|
|Onion, minced||1 small|
|Stale whole wheat bread, crumbled||1 slice|
|Black pepper||1/8 teaspoon|
|Diced tomatoes||1 can (16 ounces) |
|Onion, sliced||1 small|
|Carrot, sliced||1 medium|
|Lemon juice||1 tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||2 tablespoons|
- Rinse and core cabbage. Carefully remove 10 outer leaves, place in saucepan and cover with boiling water. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove and drain cooked cabbage leaves on paper toweling.
- Shred ½ cup of raw cabbage and set aside.
- Brown ground beef and turkey and minced onion in skillet. Drain fat.
- Place cooked and drained meat mixture, bread crumbs, water, and pepper in mixing bowl.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid, and add ½ cup tomato juice from can to meat mixture. Mix well; then place ¼ cup filling on each parboiled, drained cabbage leaf. Place folded side down in skillet.
- Add tomatoes, sliced onion, water, shredded cabbage, and carrot. Cover and simmer about 1 hour (or until cabbage is tender), basting occasionally.
- Remove cabbage rolls to serving platter, keep warm.
- Mix lemon juice, brown sugar, and cornstarch together in small bowl. Add to vegetables and liquid in skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and clear. Serve over cabbage rolls.