Spaghetti With Turkey Meat Sauce
Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
Using nonstick cooking spray, ground turkey, and no added salt helps to make this classic dish heart-healthy.
|Serving Size||5-ounce sauce and 9-ounce spaghetti|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Nonstick cooking spray, as needed |
|Ground turkey||1 pound|
|(28-ounce) tomatoes, cut up||1 can|
|Finely chopped green pepper||1 cup|
|Finely chopped onion||1 cup|
|Garlic, minced||2 cloves|
|Dried oregano, crushed||1 teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 teaspoon|
|Spaghetti, uncooked||1 pound|
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat over high heat.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Drain fat and discard.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover; simmer for 15 minutes more. (If you like a creamier sauce, give sauce a whirl in your blender or food processor.)
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in unsalted water. Drain well.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.