Sweet and Sour Seashells
Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
|Serving Size||½ cup|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||less than 1 g|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Uncooked small seashell macaroni (9 cups cooked)||1 pound|
|Vegetable oil||2 tablespoons |
|Cider vinegar||½ cup|
|Wine vinegar||½ cup|
|Water||Enough to boil pasta + ½ cup|
|Prepared mustard||3 tablespoons |
|Black pepper and salt to taste |
|Sliced pimentos||2-ounce jar |
|Small cucumbers||2 |
|Small onions thinly sliced||2|
- Cook macaroni in unsalted water, drain, rinse with cold water and drain again. Stir in oil.
- Transfer to 4-quart bowl. Place sugar, vinegars, water, prepared mustard, salt, pepper, and pimento in blender. Process at low speed for 15-20 seconds, or just enough so flecks of pimento can be seen. Pour over macaroni.
- Score cucumber peel with fork tines. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise, then slice thinly. Add to pasta with onion slices. Toss well.
- Marinate, covered, in refrigerator for 24 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Drain and serve on lettuce.
Draining the marinade before serving keeps the fat and sodium low in this cold pasta salad.