Rockport Fish Chowder
Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Vegetable oil||2 tablespoons|
|Onion, coarsely chopped||¼ cup|
|Celery, coarsely chopped||½ cup|
|Carrots, sliced||1 cup|
|Potatoes, raw, peeled, cubed||2 cups|
|Bottled clam juice||2 cups|
|Fresh or frozen (and thawed) cod or haddock fillets, cut into ¾-inch cubes||1 pound|
|Lowfat milk||3 cups|
|Fresh parsley, chopped||1 tablespoon|
- Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion and celery, and sauté for
about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, potatoes, thyme, paprika, and clam broth. Wrap
peppercorns and bay leaf in cheese cloth. Add to pot. Bring to boil,
reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, then add fish and simmer
for an added 15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily and is opaque.
- Remove fish and vegetables. Break fish into chunks. Bring broth to
boil and continue boiling until volume is reduced to 1 cup. Remove
bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Shake flour and 1/2 cup lowfat milk in container with tight-fitting
lid until smooth. Add to broth in saucepan, along with remaining
milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
boils and is thickened.
- Return vegetables and fish chunks to stock and heat thoroughly.
Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped parsley.