Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
A cholesterol-free classic Italian vegetable soup brimming with fiber-rich beans, peas, and carrots.
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||less than 1 g|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Olive oil||¼ cup|
|Garlic, minced or 1/8 tsp garlic powder||1 clove|
|Coarsely chopped onion||1 1/3 cup|
|Coarsely chopped celery and leaves||1½ cup|
|Tomato paste||1 can (6 ounces) |
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 tablespoon|
|Sliced carrots, fresh or frozen||1 cup|
|Shredded cabbage||4¾ cups|
|(1 pound) tomatoes, cut up||1 can |
|Canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed||1 cup |
|Frozen peas||1½ cup|
|Fresh green beans||1½ cup|
|Dask of hot sauce|
|Uncooked, broken spaghetti||2 cups|
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Add garlic, onion, and celery and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except spaghetti, and stir until ingredients are well-mixed.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add uncooked spaghetti and simmer 2-3 minutes only.