Mediterranean Baked Fish
Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
This dish is baked and flavored with a Mediterranean-style tomato, onion, and garlic sauce to make it lower in fat and salt.
|Serving Size||4 oz fillet with sauce|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Olive oil||2 teaspoons|
|Large onion, sliced||1|
|Whole tomatoes, drained (reserve juice) and coarsely chopped||1 can (16 ounces) |
|Garlic clove, minced||1|
|Dry white wine||1 cup|
|Reserved tomato juice, from canned tomatoes||½ cup|
|Lemon juice||¼ cup|
|Orange juice||¼ cup|
|Fresh grated orange peel||1 tablespoon|
|Fennel seeds, crushed||1 teaspoon|
|Dried oregano, crushed||½ teaspoon|
|Dried thyme, crushed||½ teaspoon|
|Dried basil, crushed||½ teaspoon|
|Black pepper to taste|
|Fish fillets (sole, flounder, or sea perch)||1 pound|
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet. Add onion, and sauté over moderate heat 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add all remaining ingredients except fish.
- Stir well and simmer 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Arrange fish in 10 x 6 inch baking dish; cover with sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375ºF about 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily.