Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
|Serving Size||2 pupusas|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||38 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Chicken breast, ground||1 pound|
|Vegetable oil||1 tablespoon|
|Lowfat mozzarella cheese, grated||½ pound|
|Small onion, finely diced||½|
|Garlic clove, minced||1|
|Medium green pepper, seeded, minced||1|
|Small tomato, finely chopped||1|
|Instant corn flour (masa harina)||5 cups|
- In nonstick skillet, sauté chicken in oil over low heat until it turns
white. Stir chicken constantly to keep it from sticking.
- Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomato. Cook chicken mixture
through. Remove skillet from stove and let mixture cool in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, place flour and salt in large mixing bowl and stir in enough
water to make stiff, tortilla-like dough.
- When chicken mixture has cooled,
mix in cheese.
- Divide dough into 24 portions. With
your hands, roll dough into balls and
flatten each into 1/2-inch thick circle.
Put spoonful of chicken mixture in
middle of each circle of dough and
bring edges to center. Flatten ball of
dough again until it is 1/2-inch thick.
- In very hot iron skillet, cook pupusas
on each side until golden brown.