|CRDAMC Homepage | CRDAMC Library Phone #: (254) 288-8366 | CRDAMC Library Fax #: (254) 288-8368|
Beta-blockers are used for hypertension as well as for a variety of heart conditions.
Drugs that fall into this family include
Supplementation Possibly Helpful
There is some evidence that beta-blockers (specifically propranolol, metoprolol, and alprenolol) might impair the body's ability to utilize the substance coenzyme Q 10 (CoQ 10).1,2 This is particularly worrisome, because CoQ 10 appears to play a significant role in normal heart function.3 Depletion of CoQ 10 might be responsible for some of the side effects of beta-blockers. In one study, CoQ 10 supplements reduced side effects caused by the beta-blocker propranolol.4 The beta-blocker timolol may interfere with CoQ 10 production to a lesser extent than other beta-blockers.
The herb Coleus forskohlii relaxes blood vessels and might have unpredictable effects on blood pressure if combined with beta-blockers.
References[ + ]
1. Kishi H, et al. Bioenergetics in clinical medicine. III. Inhibition of coenzyme Q 10 -enzymes by clinically used anti-hypertensive drugs. Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol. 1975;12:533-540.
2. Kishi T, et al. Bioenergetics in clinical medicine. XV. Inhibition of coenzyme Q 10 -enzymes by clinically used adrenergic blockers of beta receptors. Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol. 1977;17:157-164.
3. Folkers K. Basic chemical research on coenzyme Q 10 and integrated clinical research on therapy of diseases. As cited in: Lenaz G, ed. Coenzyme Q. New York, NY: John Wiley and Sons; 1985.
4. Hamada M, Kazatain Y, Ochi T, et al. Correlation between serum CoQ 10 level and myocardial contractility in hypertensive patients. In: Biomedical and Clinical Aspects of Coenzyme Q, Vol 4. Amsterdam: Elsevier; 1984: 263-270.
5. Roeback JR, et al. Effects of chromium supplementation on serum high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in men taking beta-blockers. A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 1991;115:917-924.
Last reviewed December 2015 by EBSCO CAM Review Board
Last Updated: 12/15/2015