|Great northern beans
||2 cans (16 oz each)
|Fresh mushrooms, sliced
|Onion, coarsely chopped
|Celery, coarsely chopped
|Tomatoes, fresh, peeled, cut up
|Freshly ground black pepper to taste
|Bay leaf, crumbled
|Elbow macaroni, cooked
As an alternative, use1-1/2 pound canned, whole, cut up tomatoes. The sodium content will be higher, though.
Try "no salt added" canned tomatoes to keep sodium lower.
- Drain beans and reserve liquid.
- Heat oil in 6-quart kettle. Add
mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and
garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf.
Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Cook macaroni according to directions on package, using unsalted
water. Drain when cooked. Do not overcook.
- Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
- Add liquid, beans, and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to boil. Cover and simmer until soup is thoroughly heated.