The goal of treatment is to return blood flow to the heart muscle, limit damage, and lower the risk of other heart attacks. Treatment starts before and after reaching the hospital. Care includes:
- Oxygen therapy—brings more oxygen to the heart muscle to lower the risk of heart damage
- Medicine—opens blood vessels to increase blood flow to the heart and treats other problems that increase heart disease risk such as high blood pressure
- Lifestyle changes—smoking, diet, and exercise habits can be changed to lower heart disease risk
- Surgery—to return or improve blood flow to the heart
- Cardiac rehab—a structured program focused on lifestyle changes and regular exercise
Your care team is made up of many types of health professionals. This includes doctors, surgeons, nurses, and pharmacists. Keep in touch with your team and to go recommended appointments. This will help you get the most from the treatments.
Heart attack treatment include: