Talking to Your Doctor About Allergic Rhinitis
You have a unique medical history. Therefore, it is essential to talk with your doctor about your personal risk factors and/or experience with allergic rhinitis. By talking openly and regularly with your doctor, you can take an active role in your care.
General Tips for Gathering Information
Here are some tips that will make it easier for you to talk to your doctor:
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get. Make sure you understand what you are hearing. If you don't, tell the doctor. Ask for educational materials.
- Ask where you can find more information. You have a right to know.
Specific Questions to Ask Your doctor
About Treatment Options
- How is allergic rhinitis treated?
- What medicines are used for allergic rhinitis?
- If I must take medicine, what should I expect?
- Will my medicines interact with any supplements that I am taking?
- What about getting allergy shots?
- Are there any natural treatments I should know about?
- What should I do if I have a severe reaction?
About Lifestyle Changes
- What changes can I make that will help this type of rhinitis?
- What can I do to avoid exposure to things that aggravate my allergies?
- Do I need to take any special precautions when I exercise?
- Do I need to take any special precautions when I travel?
- Should I expect any other problems because of allergic rhinitis?
- Are there any other factors that can make this worse?
- Will I have allergic rhinitis for my whole life?
- If I have children, will they develop allergic rhinitis?
Allergic rhinitis. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology website. Available at: https://acaai.org/allergies/types/hay-fever-rhinitis. Accessed October 16, 2018.
Allergic rhinitis. EBSCO DynaMed Plus website. Available at:http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T116217/Allergic-rhinitis. Updated July 9, 2018. Accessed October 16, 2018.
Allergic rhinitis. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/immunology-allergic-disorders/allergic,-autoimmune,-and-other-hypersensitivity-disorders/allergic-rhinitis. Updated January 2018. Accessed October 16, 2018.
Getting the most out of your doctor appointment. Family Doctor—American Academy of Family Physicians website. Available at: https://familydoctor.org/tips-for-talking-to-your-doctor. Updated January 19, 2018. Accessed October 16, 2018.
Last reviewed September 2018 by EBSCO Medical Review Board Marcin Chwistek, MD Last Updated: 10/16/2018