Adapted from National Diabetes Education Program, National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Department of Health and Human Services
This is a delicious dish that could be served with a mixed vegetable salad or steamed broccoli and french bread.
|Serving Size||1 slice lasagna (1 cup)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||5 g|
Servings and Times
Ingredients and Preparation
|Olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Medium onion, sliced||1|
|Garlic clove, minced||1|
|Large tomato, slice very thin||1|
|Canned, crushed tomatoes||1 cup|
|Dried basil||1½ teaspoons|
|Dried oregano||1½ teaspoons|
|Salt (optional)||¼ teaspoon|
|Medium eggplant, sliced very thin||1|
|Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese||8 ounces|
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to an 8 x 8 or 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Sauté the garlic for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomato, basil, oregano, and salt, and cook gently over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Spread a layer of this mixture over the onion layer.
- Add a layer of eggplant and follow with a layer of tomato.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese over top.
- Repeat layers of eggplant, tomato, and cheese until you use all ingredients. Finish with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes, or until layer of cheese is light brown.