Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
|Serving Size||2 pupusas|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||38 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
Servings and Times
Ingredients and Preparation
|Chicken breast, ground||1 pound|
|Vegetable oil||1 tablespoon|
|Lowfat mozzarella cheese, grated||½ pound|
|Small onion, finely diced||½|
|Garlic clove, minced||1|
|Medium green pepper, seeded, minced||1|
|Small tomato, finely chopped||1|
|Instant corn flour (masa harina)||5 cups|
- In nonstick skillet, sauté chicken in oil over low heat until it turns white. Stir chicken constantly to keep it from sticking.
- Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomato. Cook chicken mixture through. Remove skillet from stove and let mixture cool in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, place flour and salt in large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to make stiff, tortilla-like dough.
- When chicken mixture has cooled, mix in cheese.
- Divide dough into 24 portions. With your hands, roll dough into balls and flatten each into 1/2-inch thick circle. Put spoonful of chicken mixture in middle of each circle of dough and bring edges to center. Flatten ball of dough again until it is 1/2-inch thick.
- In very hot iron skillet, cook pupusas on each side until golden brown. Serve hot.