Adapted from the National Diabetes Education Program, National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Department of Health and Human Services
This tasty dish provides a healthy array of vegetables and can be used for breakfast, brunch, or any meal! Serve with fresh fruit salad and a dinner roll.
|Serving Size||1/5 of omelet|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||18 g|
Servings and Times
Ingredients and Preparation
|Small potatoes, peeled and sliced||5|
|Olive oil or vegetable cooking spray||1 tablespoon|
|Medium onion, minced||½|
|Small zucchini, sliced||1|
|Green/red peppers, sliced thin||1½ cups|
|Medium mushrooms, sliced||5|
|Whole eggs, beaten||3|
|Egg whites, beaten||5|
|Pepper and garlic salt with herbs to taste|
|Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese||3 ounces|
|Parmesan cheese||1 tablespoon|
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- In a nonstick pan, add oil or vegetable spray and warm at medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until brown. Add vegetables and sauté until tender but not brown.
- In a medium mixing bowl, slightly beat the eggs and egg whites, pepper, garlic salt, and mozzarella cheese. Stir egg-cheese mixture into the cooked vegetables.
- Oil or spray a 10-inch pie pan or ovenproof skillet. Transfer potatoes and eggs mixture to pan. Spread with parmesan cheese and bake omelet until firm and brown on top, about 20-30 minutes.