Depression symptoms differ from person to person. Some may only have a few, while others may have many. Symptoms change over time. The most common are:
- Feeling sad, empty, or hopeless—these are less common in older adults, children, and adolescents
- Feeling guilty, worthless, or helpless
- Agitation, worry, or anxiety
- Mood changes
- Trouble sleeping, waking up too early, or sleeping too much
- No desire for hobbies, for social engagements, or to be around your friends or family
- Feeling tired
- Having general pain in the stomach, head, muscles, and joints
- Problems thinking clearly
- Eating habits change
- Weight gain or loss
- Loss of interest in sex
- Thoughts of death or taking your own life—with or without trying it
Depression can interfere with your family or your school or work life. It can also cause problems in how you relate to other people. If you have any of these problems for 2 weeks or more, call your doctor.
Depression. National Institute of Mental Health website. Available at: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml. Updated February 2018. Accessed October 9, 2018.
Depression in children and adolescents. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at:http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T906140/Depression-in-children-and-adolescents. Updated July 23, 2018. Accessed October 9, 2018.
Depression in elderly patients. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at:http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T906139/Depression-in-elderly-patients. Updated May 26, 2017. Accessed October 9, 2018.
Depressive disorders. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/psychiatric-disorders/mood-disorders/depressive-disorders. Updated May 2018. Accessed October 9, 2018.
Major depressive disorder (MDD). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at:http://www.dynamed.com/topics/dmp~AN~T116638/Major-depressive-disorder-MDD. Updated August 23, 2018. Accessed October 9, 2018.
Last reviewed September 2018 by EBSCO Medical Review Board Adrian Preda, MD Last Updated: 11/13/2020