These steps may help lower the risk of asthma:
Avoid exposure to smoke:
- Do not smoke, especially when pregnant.
- Do not go to places with secondhand smoke.
- Keep children from secondhand smoke.
- Take steps to avoid respiratory infections, such as staying away from people who are sick and washing your hands.
- People who work jobs in farming, cleaning, or painting should follow safety steps.
Asthma in adults and adolescents. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at:https://www.dynamed.com/condition/asthma-in-adults-and-adolescents. Updated October 11, 2019. Accessed October 22, 2019.
Chronic asthma in children. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at:https://www.dynamed.com/condition/chronic-asthma-in-children. Updated September 27, 2019. Accessed October 22, 2019.
Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) global strategy for asthma management and prevention. GINA 2018.
Last reviewed September 2019 by EBSCO Medical Review Board Daniel A. Ostrovsky, MD Last Updated: 8/19/2020