June 15, 2016
(HealthDay News) -- Back pain is a common reason for poor sleep.
So taking steps to alleviate or prevent pain can help you sleep
The National Sleep Foundation suggests:
- If you sleep on your back, place a pillow under your knees to
help alleviate back pain.
- If you're a stomach sleeper, place a pillow under your
- If you're a side sleeper, use a pillow between your knees.
- Invest in a new mattress. Choose one that's firm or medium-firm
for more support. Or plant a sheet of beneath your existing
- Get out of bed slowly and gently. Instead of sitting straight
up, roll onto your side, push up with your hands and swing your
legs over the side.
- Exercise regularly, making sure to perform strengthening
exercises that focus on your back and core.