Chicken Tortilla Soup
Adapted from CooksAid.com
|Serving Size||1/6 of recipe|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||32 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Low-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth||1 32-ounce box|
|98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup||1 10.75-ounce can|
|Jalapeno, diced (optional)||½-1|
Black beans, drained
|Garlic clove, minced||1|
|Small white onion, chopped||1|
|Yellow bell pepper, chopped||1|
|Chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes||2|
|Chili powder||½ tablespoon|
|Low-fat sour cream||2 tablespoons|
|Reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese||2 tablespoons|
|6-inch flour tortillas, cut into ½-inch strips||6|
*To reduce sodium content, rinse beans in a strainer under cool running water.
- Add chicken broth, mushrooom soup, jalapeno, and black beans to a large crockpot (alternatively, you can use a large pot on the stove over medium-low heat).
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, sauté garlic, onion, and pepper for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cumin, and chili powder, and continue cooking 3-4 minutes, until chicken is lightly browned on all sides. Transfer vegetable and chicken mixture to crockpot (or pot).
- Cook in crockpot for 3-4 hours on high (or simmer in a pot over low heat for 1-2 hours).
- Bake tortilla strips on a nonstick cookie sheet at 350°F for 10 minutes, or until crisp.
- Serve soup in bowls over tortilla strips, topping each with ½ tablespoon sour cream, ½ tablespoon cheese, ½ tablespoon salsa, and a slice of lime.
3 very lean meats/substitutes; 1 vegetable; 1 starch; 1.5 fat
Side Suggestions: Quesadilla Dippers
Place a tortilla on skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Top with 1/3 cup reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese, fold over, and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes per side, until cheese melts. Repeat. Cut each tortilla into 4 wedges, and serve with soup. Nutrition Info (for 2 wedges): 81 calories; 9 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fat (1 g sat); 0.5 g fiber; 186 mg sodium. Exchanges: ½ carbohydrate; ½ lean meat substitute.