(HealthDay News) -- Before you pack your bags for your next trip, make sure you read up on how to prevent back pain from lugging luggage.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions:
- Buy luggage with wheels and a handle that's sturdy and lightweight.
- Don't overpack, and use several small bags instead of stuffing everything into one heavy suitcase.
- Lift with your legs instead of your back, bending at the knees and holding the luggage close to your body.
- If possible, use both hands to carry luggage.
- If carrying a shoulder bag, make sure you switch sides often.
Copyright © 2012 http://www.healthday.com/
. All rights reserved.
The information in this article, including reference materials, are provided to you solely for educational or research purposes. Information in reference materials, are not and should not be considered professional health care advice upon which you should rely. Health care information changes rapidly and consequently, information in this article may be out of date. Questions about personal health should always be referred to a physician or other health care professional.