Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
|Serving Size||1 square|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|White sugar||¼ cup|
|Baking powder||1 teaspoon|
|Buttermilk, 1% fat||1 cup|
|Margarine, regular, tub||¼ cup|
|Vegetable oil (to grease baking pan)||1 teaspoon|
Use 1% milk and a small amount of margarine to make this cornbread lower in saturated fat and cholesterol.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
- Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Add margarine and mix by hand or with a mixer for 1 minute.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in an 8-by-8 inch greased baking dish. Cool. Cut
into 10 squares.