Crispy Oven-fried Chicken
Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
For less fat, bake chicken in the oven instead of frying.
|Serving Size||½ breast or 2 small drumsticks|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Skim milk or buttermilk||½ cup|
|Poultry seasoning||1 teaspoon|
|Cornflakes, crumbled||1 cup|
|Onion powder||1½ tablespoons|
|Garlic powder||1½ tablespoons|
|Black pepper||2 teaspoons|
|Dried hot pepper, crushed||2 teaspoons|
|Ginger, ground||1 teaspoon|
|Chicken, skinless (4 breasts, 4 drumsticks)||8 pieces|
|Paprika||A few shakes|
|Vegetable oil (use to grease baking pan)||1 teaspoon|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add ½ teaspoon of poultry seasoning to milk.
- Combine all other spices with cornflake crumbs and place in a plastic bag.
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Dip chicken into milk, shake
then quickly shake in bag with seasoning and crumbs.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and sprinkle lightly with paprika for color.
- Evenly space chicken on greased baking pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue
baking for an additional 30-40 minutes or until the meat can be easily
pulled away from the bone with a fork. The drumsticks may require less
baking time than the breasts. Crumbs will form a crispy “skin.” (Do not
turn chicken during baking.)