Adapted from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services
|Serving Size||1 slice|
|Total Fat|| 5 g|
|Saturated Fat|| 2 g|
|Cholesterol|| 57 mg|
|Sodium|| 273 mg|
|Calcium|| 70 mg|
|Iron|| 2 mg|
Ingredients and Preparation TOP
|Cake flour||2 ¼ cups|
|Baking powder||2 ¼ teaspoons |
|Sugar||1 ¼ cups|
|Orange peel||1 tablespoon|
|Skim milk||¾ cup|
|Low fat cream cheese||3 ounces|
|Skim milk||2 tablespoons|
|Confectioners sugar, sifted||2 cups|
|Vanilla extract||½ teaspoon|
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Grease with small amount of cooking oil or use nonstick cooking oil spray on a 10-inch round pan (at least 2 ½ inches high). Powder pan with flour. Tap out excess flour.
- Sift together flour and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat together margarine and sugar until soft and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla, and orange peel.
- Gradually add the flour mixture alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour the mixture into the pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until done.
- Let cake cool for 5 to 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool completely before icing.
- Directions for Frosting
- Cream together cream cheese and milk until smooth. Add cocoa. Blend well.
- Slowly add sugar until icing is smooth. Mix in vanilla.
- Smooth icing over top and sides of cooled cake.