See also Antibiotics (General)
Amoxicillin is a relative of the antibiotic penicillin, but has been modified to have a broader spectrum of effect.
References[ + ]
1. Tinozzi S and Venegoni A. Effect of bromelain on serum and tissue levels of amoxicillin. Drugs Exp Clin Res 4: 39–44, 1978.
2. Luerti M and Vignali M. Influence of bromelain on penetration of antibiotics in uterus, salpinx and ovary. Drugs Exp Clin Res 4: 45–48, 1978.
3. Cohen H, Scott SD, Mackie IJ, et al. The development of hypoprothrombinaemia following antibiotic therapy in malnourished patients with low serum vitamin K 1 levels. Br J Haematol 68: 63–66, 1988.
4. Conly J and Stein K. Reduction of vitamin K 2 concentrations in human liver associated with the use of broad spectrum antimicrobials. Clin Invest Med 17: 531–539, 1994.
5. Shearer MJ, Bechtold H, Andrassy K, et al. Mechanism of cephalosporin-induced hypoprothrombinemia: relation to cephalosporin side chain, vitamin K metabolism, and vitamin K status. J Clin Pharmacol 28: 88–95, 1988.
6. Goss TF, Walawander CA, Grasela TH, et al. Prospective evaluation of risk factors for antibiotic-associated bleeding in critically ill patients. Pharmacotherapy 12: 283–291, 1992.
Last reviewed December 2015 by EBSCO CAM Review Board
Last Updated: 12/15/2015
EBSCO Information Services is fully accredited by URAC. URAC is an independent, nonprofit health care accrediting organization dedicated to promoting health care quality through accreditation, certification and commendation.
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
To send comments or feedback to our Editorial Team regarding the content please email us at email@example.com. Our Health Library Support team will respond to your email request within 2 business days.