January 13, 2014
(HealthDay News) -- The next time you feel you're under too much
stress, the American Heart Association offers these "emergency
stress stoppers" to help calm you down:
- Before you begin to speak, count to 10 and take several deep
- Walk away from whatever is stressful, and decide to come back
to it later. If there's a big problem, break it down into smaller
problems that are easier to address individually.
- Take a walk. If you're driving, stay in the slow lane, away
from heavy traffic.
- If you've made a mistake, say you're sorry.
- If you're repeatedly stressed about being late, set your watch
five to 10 minutes ahead.
- Do something to make yourself happy and relaxed, such as
hugging a loved one, smelling a flower or giving someone a