October 17, 2013
(HealthDay News) -- Camping is a fun family activity, and a
great way to enjoy the outdoors. But parents should teach their
children about what to do if they get lost.
The Nemours Foundation offers these parental reminders:
- Make sure kids remember landmarks during a hike and at the
- Practice turning around and looking behind you during a hike to
become familiar with the area you've just passed.
- If lost, make sure your child knows to stay put and remain
- Have everyone carry a cell phone, assuming there is local
- If there is no local cell phone service, make sure children
wear a whistle that can be heard from a long distance.